Sunday, August 22, 2010

Sand Tarts-Part 2

Sand Tarts

The suspense is over! I have actually managed to make cookies. Terribly exciting, I know.

Anyway, Sand Tarts. A simple lemon zest-spiked sugar cookie dough, chilled overnight. Rolled out really thin and cut into circles.

Sand Tarts

Paint on a little egg wash and carefully place slivered almonds. This is a terribly fiddly step. Martha says the almonds make the cookies look like sand dollars. I think Martha's on crack. But, I like almonds, so I can deal.

A little cinnamon sugar, and you're done. Yum!

Sand Tarts

These ended up really good. I kind of questioned the lemon-plus-cinnamon combination, but it really worked well. The zest in the dough was subtle enough to prevent the cookies being 'lemon cookies', but added a little something interesting to the cookies. The cookies are all crunchy and crisp, different than snickerdoodles or other cinnamon-y cookies I can think of.

But, the next time I make these I would skip the almonds. They don't contribute to the flavor of the cookies, so I expect they are just for decoration, which is just silly.

Sand Tarts

Next Week: Peanut Butter Swirl Brownies, p. 268

1 comment:

  1. I made these last night and brought them to work today. They got a little bit dense and sort of heavy. I thought they would be more crumbly like a shortbread. But you are right the flavor of the lemon and the cinnamon really works. I like the almond, you don't really taste them but they are so cute!

    ReplyDelete