Saturday, July 10, 2010

Orange-Cardamom Madeleines

Maybe Proust was onto something. I'm not saying these made me want to write a 7-part memoir, but they were quite tasty. However, they did make me want to sip tea from a delicate china cup with my pinky out.
I know it's a little weird, but I've always wanted a madeleine pan. They are so pretty and French, like something you might find in a cottage in the Provencal country side. This project seemed like a good reason to buy one. Also, I had a $10-off coupon.
These cookies (little sponge cakes, really) were super tasty. The cakes themselves had fresh-ground cardamom and a little bit of honey. After they cooled, I brushed the tops with an orange glaze, which was my favorite part. The glaze was powdered sugar with orange zest and fresh-squeezed orange juice. Yum! I could have eaten it with a spoon. The texture is soft and springy, and the glaze on top hardened just a bit to add a little crunch.

My husband has declared that these cookies are his favorites so far, and ate all but three. Maybe he'll be writing a memoir soon.Next week: Pecan Logs, p. 114

1 comment:

  1. I still want to make these but can't find a madelein pan. I will keep looking.

    ReplyDelete