Saturday, July 3, 2010

Almond Macaroons

OK, Martha. I hate to do this, but I call BS on your Almond Macaroons. These are officially the first epic failure of this project. Martha's cookies look lovely. They look like they might be a little crunchy on the outside. They're so puffy and pretty. I bet they taste great with that cup of coffee. Sigh... I don't know what went wrong.I even started with mise en place (which is French for 'I have someone else to do the dishes for me'), so I know I didn't mis-measure.
The batter looked a little loose, but who am I to second-guess Martha? I've never done almond macaroons before. They look kind of nice so far.



Now, before you go any farther, go back and look at Martha's Macaroons. I'll wait.





OK?
Sad story... The cookies turned out flat and kind of bendy. The picture doesn't really show how unpleasant these cookies are. They don't have a lot of flavor, and their texture kind of reminds me of clay (sort of malleable).

It's possible that my failure could be due to the fact that our oven has difficulty keeping its temperature lower than 6000 degrees. Despite the fact that I had the oven at the lowest setting, the cookies started burning less than 1/3 into the suggested cooking time. Maybe if you have an oven that can achieve temperatures lower than your average day in hell, you might be able to make some good cookies. I may try them again some day, but for now, I think I'll just eat the left-over almond paste.

Next week: Orange-Cardamom Madeleines, p. 210

No comments:

Post a Comment