Saturday, August 7, 2010

Chocolate Thumbprints

Chocolate Thumbprints
It is well known that Martha Stewart isn't all Sugar and Spice and All Things Nice. I suspect she's about 25% determination, 25% skill and 50% butter (judging by the recipes in this book, anyway) with just a splash of sadism, but that's just my theory. But, really, Martha? You want me to stick my finger into the molten innards of a half-baked cookie that just came out of a 350 degree oven? Really? She is even so nice as to suggest that you keep a bowl of ice water nearby to prevent any long-term nerve damage. Isn't that sweet?
Chocolate Thumbprints
And, if that's not enough, some of the cookies puff up again after you make the thumbprint (you bake them halfway, stick your finger into them, then put them back in the oven, which gives you about 5 minutes to go find the Unguentine before you have to put your fingers back into the cookies). But aren't they pretty when they're all finished? Aww... cookies with holes in them.

Full disclosure: either because I'm a huge patsy, or because I am way too committed to this project, I followed Martha's instructions. And, honestly it wasn't too bad. You just had to move quickly and keep putting you hand back in the ice water. Also, I think if you weren't trying to take a picture of yourself doing this, the likelihood of burning would decrease significantly.
Chocolate Thumbprints
Once the cookies have cooled and your fingers are less pink, melt up some chocolate, butter and Karo syrup to make the fudge that goes in the middle. Super tasty. I had the leftover chocolate mixture on a peach. Interestingly, the fudge never truly sets up. I'm not sure if it's the butter, the Karo, or the fact that Texas is roughly 30,000 degrees right now, but the chocolate is always really soft.

While these cookies are really tasty, I don't think they're my favorites from this book. Their flavor reminds me of those little Keebler Elf sandwich cookies with the chocolate frosting inside. Yummy, but not going to win any awards. I don't see anyone not liking these, but they're not something people would go crazy over. Although, if I'm going to risk bodily harm to make cookies, people had better like them!
Chocolate Thumbprints
Next week: Raspberry Honey Financiers, p. 205

1 comment:

  1. I made these a while back and they do burn a bit but I thought it was worth it. They are delectable.

    ReplyDelete